Wednesday 10 October 2012

A year already?

I'm approaching a year in Knoxville, a year as a resident of the United States of America. I always think it's funny how time seems to fly when you're looking back, perhaps because you only remember special moments. You don't remember those mundane days that seem to last forever when you're counting down to something with anticipation. What I'm trying to say is that I think this past year has flown by. 

This past year as been full of many milestones; the arrival of my permanent resident card, getting a job, learning to drive, moving into our own apartment. They're all little steps in the much larger plan of Adam and I getting established here. Of building a life here. And I'm coming to realize that they're will be many, many more steps for us to take. 

This time last year, we were really only concerned with being together again. When we got married in 2009, we were under the impression that we wouldn't have to live apart again. Those almost 10 months of separation were very painful for me, especially in the beginning, it's difficult to be a wife without a husband.So when I was finally approved and on a plane, it seemed to us like the nightmare was finally over, we were together and we'd live happily ever after, the end. Of course, life doesn't work like that. There are many difficulties to be faced, which can make or break a person and a marriage. We've really struggled with the fact that Adam and I live on two different schedules. I keep bankers hours whilst he works second shift; 4pm-3am, so we really don't have much time to spend together. And even on weekends, his body clock keeps him sleeping in late whilst I struggle to sleep past 9am. The fact that there is a "Shermeen of the past" reminding me to just be glad that we're in the same country, doesn't do much to abate my frustrations. 

We're actually hoping that Adam can find a new job here in Knoxville, one that will put him on a better shift and put more money in our bank account for the future. We're also seriously discussing moving somewhere else in the US, Adam has spoken to a couple recruiters and found really good welding jobs in AL and MS. Of course, we don't want to move. Knoxville has grown on us (though it's no London), I really like the people I work with and Adams parents are here. At present, we're just trying to work towards being able to buy a home of our own and start a family but none of those things can happen unless we can start bringing in more money. 

I'm actually excited about the future. I'm excited that we have possibilities and though we don't know what the future holds, we do know that we'll be facing it together. Which really makes all the difference. 

But this isn't supposed to be about the future, it's supposed to be about the past year in Knoxville. Thus;

Following the long but wonderful vlog from Eve over at Queen's English, I thought I'd do the same. Eve moved to NC about a week before I moved to TN and she recently took questions which she answered in video form. So, to get me to do another vlog (it's been over a year) I thought I'd ask my readers (are you there?) and FB followers to post questions about my past year. Anything you like, post it here or on Sherms In The Middle FB page. I'll give it a couple days and then answer them on video and post it here for all to see. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do remember seasons change, yeah that was last year! This is the second time around and almost done with it, my last season is fall and so glad it is here.

I live in Hemet California, a valley surrounded by mountains not very harsh winter here, we don't get snow, I get to see capped snow mountains. My grass and plants get frozen. I've lived here three years. I prefer the cold over temperatures over 100 during the summer :/ I still complain in winter though.

Ah you came to the right person! Spanish is my primary language. Do let me know!

Fish tacos are good! You should try them someday! Hugs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...