Thursday 8 March 2007

Pondering

 
For the past five years I've been hearing about the special relationship between Britain and America and was almost fooled into believing that one existed and not just when America wanted something.
 
Does the fact that they gave us Madonna and in return we gave them The Beckhams not go to show, that neither country has that much love for the other?
 
The past few days i've been buried, literally, in information on immigration. Both from the US to the UK and from the UK to the US. If there is a special relationship between these two fine nations, its certainly buried under lot's of red tape. And I have to ask myself the question of why it's so difficult to legally immigrate to another country.
 
And it's not just me who's in this predicament. There are thousands of people regularly falling in love with someone who lives overseas. Fooled by the internet world of no borders, they quickly come to find that it's a harsh and very different reality when they want to take the final step and be together.
 
We all hear about men and women alike, duped by internet lovers for their money or a visa. But what of the people who are truly in love but can't find the best way of being together? Nobody ever tells their story. But that's my story. And not just mine, but lot's of other people's too.
 
I've never broken a law, i've just fallen in love. But because of where I was born or where Adam wasn't, we have to jump through hoops to be together.
 
Europe has pretty quickly become a continent without borders and it seems that every day we're hearing about illegal immigrants who come into the country and rape and murder innocent people. Or worse still, legal immigrants who had committed atrocious crimes in their own countries, but it was discovered after they'd done the same or worse here.
 
There's a notion of preserving what's "British" which many see as too little too late. For example, making immigrants take a test, much like America has had in place for years. Ensuring that they can speak English of a certain standard, something else the Americans had in place for years. And that they can support themselves well above the poverty level, can anyone else say America was there first!?
 
But what I wonder is why its so easy for someone who can't speak a word of English to move here, whilst your average American (granted they don't speak English very well either, rather some butchered version) who just wants to be with their love after 3 years of separation, has to jump through hoops. 
 
(sighs) i'm just rattling on to myself. I'll update soon about my visit to Florida. Its just, i'm highly emotional right now. What with it only being a week since I left and Aunt Flo visiting. I cry every time I think about it!
 
Love you ALL!

Just wanted to say, Best Of Luck to Katie Jane, she gets married in a matter of days. And Get Well Soon to Lisa.
 
Ps, I'm gonna turn my alerts back on tomorrow. Please leave me a link to your journal if you want to be on my alerts. Obviously, my regular reader won't need to bother as i'll already know to turn you on.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh girl... I could go on for days about how I feel about immigration in this country... it is so unfair how someone like you would like to come here and has to go through all the red tape... while people literally running acrros the border from Mexico and if they make it, they can have public aide and all sots of stuff... plus dont forget that I still have to press 1 for English when I call someplace... its discusting.

I hopeyou get through that tape though...I  would welcome you here with open arms... COMON OVER!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, something else.... were the Beckams a gift? Please take them back.....lol.... lets regift to another country please!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shermeen!  I've been where you are, and I'm a second generation American--both of my grandparents were immigrants to the U.S.  My first husband came to America with only a Visa from Portugal.  We got married, and he applied for his green card.  When he applied, I went with him to the immigration office, and we basically sat down with an official who asked us questions.  (Not quite like the movie Green Card.)  I basically showed the official all the letters we had exchanged, and my phone bill which was over $1,000!).  One look at the phone bill, and the guy was convinced that we were for REAL.  (We were both young and stupid perhaps, but we were in love.)  This was over 20 years ago, and I'm sure immigration rules are different now, but don't let all these hoops and obstacles get you down--it will happen.  Hugs--Julie :)  

Anonymous said...

Shermeen, I miss you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ca'nt understand all the imigration laws myself, I will send you the link to my journal again ok, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Shermeen,
we did NOT butcher the English language, we fine tuned it...hahahahaha.  All you have to do is go to Mexico, cross the border and come in that way, you'll have our nation handed to you on a silver platter.  Why emigrate?  Why not come in on a resident alien Visa and just renew until you're ready to apply for DUAL-citizenship?  Something to consider.  The relationship between the US and Britain sucks, probably always will.  That's our governments and media that do that.  I, for one, do not give a shit, I get along with everyone unless they're an asshole.  Many Americans don't acknowledge the existence of much outside of America and couldn't care less either.  
I think you and Adam will figure this shit out.  It will all work out the way you want it to.  Don't force it, it will happen.
Love, Renee

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute!!!  David Beckham IS a gift.  He's hot and he's not bothering anyone.  We'll keep him.  Take the wife back.  We'll take Madonna back.  I have loved her music since I was a teenager.  I love her.  
Renee

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry girl!  I don't know why, America is so stupid with that and they do let people who don't speak a lick of english.  Don't understand that either.  That makes me mad!  Do you mean to tell me, you can't go to Florida without a bunch of shit to go thru?  Now that is a bunch of crap!  
Hugs,
Vicky xoxo

Anonymous said...

That is definitely a dilemma Shermeen and I sympathize with you.   But believe me there are lots and lots of people coming in everyday.  And the gov isn't keeping that good track of their visas.  Here in Florida there are tons and tons of Mexicans who can't even speak English at all.  Ryan and I just went to a restaurant the other day where the owner couldn't speak English.  I thought to myself that they shouldn't even be allowed to be in business here unless they learn the language but I do have empathy for them.  America is the land of the free, the brave and the land of opportunity.  I want that for everyone.  Some people here might not think they're free but they don't know how good they've got it because they haven't been to a third world country and seen poverty like that.   I hope everything works out for you and I hope you feel better soon. : )  Love ya, Shelly

P.S.  I wrote you a mini journal entry. lmao!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should send them a link to your journals so they can see how long you all have been involved!!!  I hope you get all the red tape cut and both can be together soon!  Can't wait to hear about your trip...Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Don't start me off on the immigration please! If you are honest, hard working and a good person who can speak English really well you sure as hell will have trouble getting in...however if you are dishonest, can't speak a word of English and come here just to sponge and beg...no problem!! Im sorry you two are finding this so hard it just is not fair hun...Linda xx

Anonymous said...

I didn`t realize how trying it is to go through all the red tape to live in another country. By the way, in the Madonna/ Beckham swap, I think we Americans got the better deal!
Hugs
Penny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...