Saturday 18 June 2011

Books and Accents

Reading is how I relax. For me, there isn't much better than curling up with a good book in a quiet house. Sometimes you come across a gem of a book where you can't put it down, first thing in the morning and last thing at night, you're reading it. And then occasionally you come across books that aren't amazing but keep you reading because you want to know how they end. When it comes to books I'm all about persevering, I've only come across a handful of books that I never finished. Last year I had two; Love and Summer by William Trevor and The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I think my mistake with Philip Pullman is that I brought the trilogy in one and after awhile there was only so much I could take. I'm certain that at some point I'll pull it off my bookshelf and finish reading but I will never read another book by William Trevor...how uncultured of me. I got half way through and just didn't want to...couldn't...read anymore.

Yesterday I just finished reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It kicked my butt at some parts but the story alone had me engaged enough to want to continue. Of course, I did a couple quick internet searches and Wikipedia told me plenty but I wanted to hear the real story. The story according to Perry Smith and Dick Hickock. 

For some it might be a rather macabre choice of bedtime reading but I love reading true crime novels. To look into the reasons why some people kill and the complete detachment that some people experience. I once read a true crime story where a husband called his ex wife and let her listen whilst he shot their two daughters. How can someone go from being a functioning husband who this woman believes she knows deeply to someone who kills his own children?

I've also been following the Casey Anthony trial. I remember when the story first came to light about this little girls missing and the mother not caring or wondering where she was. I remember it was very quickly decided by the press and public that she was guilty. Never mind the concept of innocent until proven guilty. I know that there has been a very straightforward story painted by the prosecution but I honestly feel that there is more to the story and that her parents are keeping secrets. It is also puzzling to me that they have been unable to determine a cause of death. I suppose we should see how the trial plays out. I doubt very much that she will walk away free but I hope at the very least she walks away with her life.

Yesterday, Adam and I had a rather heated conversation about "the Southern accent" and my negative opinion of it. I've always said that I don't want my children to have an American accent. It really all goes back to a plane journey I had to the US. There were about three kids sitting behind me and they just had the moaniest accents I've ever heard. Now, I know that in the US where you live will determine how you talk about I also don't like the US word "mom". It is just far too foreign for me to feel comfortable with and I shall try my best to have my children call me "mum". Well, Adam asked me why I wouldn't want our kids to sound like the boys from Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby.  


Now, as much as I love this movie. I just think that the southern accent sounds unintelligent. That is not to say that I think people from the south are unintelligent, I just think that having strong regional accents can hold people back. You don't find news readers speaking in a strong accent because you want people across the country to understand what you're saying. Of course, Adam being from the south, he took great offence. Which was never my intention, it really was just my opinion. Wrong or right. I don't actually think he has a southern accent, sure he can put it on when he wants to but in every day speech he just sounds American. Well, it took lots of explaining and finally an apology on my part to get him to let it go but when he told his mom about our conversation, she agreed 100% with me! lol!


Right, off to get ready for work. I'll try and remember to post tomorrow for Fathers Day. I don't believe I have any men who read my blog. Never had. But I would certainly like to wish your husbands a Happy Fathers Day.

3 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

I think you're feelings are resonated around the U.S. while people like the sound of the southern drawl it's constantly misinterpreted as an unintelligent sound.

I find it the most interesting that when we sing all accents are gone!!!

Kait said...

"His Dark Materials" are some of my FAVORITE books. They are some of the only books I've read and re-read. I think I quit The Amber Spyglass the first time I read it too, but the second time I couldn't figure out how I got to a point where I wanted to put it down! You should definitely pick it back up again. I love those books so much!

Alida Sharp said...

My husband and I have been following the Casey Anthony trial. And while I do believe in innocent until proven guilty I just cannot imagine my child being missing for 31 days and me not telling anyone about it. I cannot imagine my child being missing for 31 minutes and not involving the whole neighborhood in my search.

The 31 days is just inconceivable to me. Maybe she didn't do anything...but not reporting her child missing sure makes it look like she is hiding something.

The jury just went into deliberation today...soon we'll know their opinion and that is the only one that matters for Casey in this case!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...