Tuesday 9 November 2010

Chumps and Husbands

Chumps always make the best husbands...All the unhappy marriages come from the husbands having brains.
P.G. Woodhouse
The Adventures of Sally (1920)

I came across the above quote and found it humorous, only because it is exactly the kind of quote that my husband would hate!

It has been a few days since I've blogged now, I suppose it is true to say that life gets in the way but it is also the fact that I often find that I do not have much to write about. My blog is mostly details of my life as opposed to be a themed blog and at the minute I feel like there isn't much happening. Of course, Adam and I are still in the process of us preparing for me to move Stateside with him, which I am excited about. It was difficult letting my family know, of course they knew we planned to make the move eventually, but the decision was made sooner than most expected. My nephew, bless his heart, said to me "No, you're moving in a few years". Because that is what I've always said and he didn't seem too happy with the idea that a few years had come two years earlier than scheduled.

I'm not sure what my last post was about but Adam is doing OK. He didn't have to have his jaw wired shut, which he is happy about, but he is having difficulties in following the docs orders and sticking to soft foods. He doesn't like the thought of eating just soups and noodles, he's used to eating lots and for him soup just doesn't cut it. So he often cheats and has what the rest of us has, which then results in him being in pain. I'm used to him not listening to my advice, even though it frequently proves to be the right advice, but his not listening to the doctor is just silly. I'm not sure why men have to make everything so much more difficult than in necessary!

We were watching TV tonight and it was basically a show about three families who have a child with special needs. Autism, Downs Syndrome and EB.
It was really emotional to watch because you saw not only these children have pain or face difficulties but you also saw these parents struggle. I cannot imagine what it must be like to know that your child is sick because there was a 1 in 500,000 chance that both you and your partner had the same recessive gene. Or to wonder whether vaccinating your child caused her autism. And of course, to struggle with the decision of whether to continue a pregnancy if you know that your child will be born with special needs. I couldn't imagine and hope I don't have to one day face making a decision like that. And I'm not sure if I could have the strength to take care of a child with special needs, especially if my child would be in constant pain. Perhaps, nobody thinks they would be strong enough until faced with the possibility. Sometimes you can have a perfectly healthy child and an accident leaves them completely dependant upon you for the rest of their life. The one thing I always think about is, what happens when they child becomes an adult but you are no longer around to take care of them? Who could you trust to take care of your child the way you would, could you believe that a friend or distant relative could be as patient as you and not neglect them in anyway? Food for though I guess.

We're hoping to get out the house tomorrow and do a little exploring of London town, but the weather has been so crappy of late, we'll have to see how it goes. And I shall take the time to reflect on my day and attempt to come back with a decent post!

2 comments:

Kait said...

I'm so glad he is doing okay. When do you think you all will be moving? And to where in the states?

Brown English Muffin said...

Glad to hear that Adam is OK. But I can't wait to hear he's doing GREAT!!!

I've come to the conclusion that all men are extremely stubborn...if Adam wants pain who are you to stop him! :0)

My husband doesn't think soups is real food either. He'd have a hard time with it as well.

I used to work with people with disabilities and my favorite client was always a young boy 13 years old with autism.

I often wish that job paid more as it was the most rewarding job I'd ever done.

I've heard mixed reviews of late that the vaccines once thought to cause autism actually don't. Supposedly the guy who did the study finally admitted that his findings were inaccurate.

But who knows if he wasn't paid to say that?

We have a friend who has 3 kids 1 has cerebral palsy he just had his 21st birthday. I always wonder who will take care of him when his parents pass and I always assume it will be one of his siblings. One is older and one is younger but the younger one seems to be the most reliable and he's only 12!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...