Wednesday 17 November 2010

A bird can love a fish but where shall they live?

There seems to be so much going on at the moment or at least so much to think about. Of course, foremost in my mind is the knowledge that Adam will be leaving later this year or early next year. Coming to terms with the fact that I won't be able to be with my husband for a large part of 2011 is quite distressing. We honestly thought that our time of being apart had come to an end but when a bird loves a fish, there is always the question of immigration. Forms and fees and just basically bowing down and begging a country to let you in.

We have a least decided on which visa I'm going to apply for and we have a good idea of how it all works, it doesn't seem as complicated as it did at first glance. And it will mean that I will be issued with a green card on arrival in the US, but of course, as with most things in life, I am not guaranteed to receive it. The fact that Adam and I have been in a relationship since 2004 and married for nineteen months does of course validate our relationship. But it isn't a straightforward, "yes you love him, you're married, of course you want to live together, Come In!". We still have to prove that during the time we've been married on paper, we have actually been living as man and wife. I also have to pass a medical and attend an interview which I'm sure I also have to pass.

It seems that having to live apart for the majority of our relationship wasn't enough of a test because now the US government wants to give our relationship a test of its own.

Oh, I don't know. It's not that I don't understand why they have all these procedures in place. I understand the importance of stopping the convenience marriages, which are only about a green card. I just hate thinking that in a couple months, I'm gonna return to the home I've shared with my husband and he's not going to be there. His clothes will be gone, his Spanish flash cards will no longer clutter my desk and eventually his smell will go too. It's horrible because I've been there before, we've been apart before and it's always painful to say goodbye and not know when we'll see each other again.

I shan't despair just yet, there will be more than enough of these sad entries in the coming weeks. For now, I just want to spend as much time as possible enjoying my husband; who can annoy the crapolla outta me sometimes but looks so cute doing it that I gotta kiss him!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...