Friday 13 May 2011

Sherms In The Middle of becoming a Desperate Housewife

This is a post from yesterday, May 12th. Posted today because Blogger was down!

Lately I've been more adventurous with what I make for dinner. Every once in awhile I get bored with what I have for dinner, it seems like I eat the same things over and over again. However on my recent visit to Stevenage my friend gave me her Philadelphia cookbook and I got creative. After making two meals from there I opened up my other cookbooks and looked for fun meals to make. I do have a little chuckle with my girlfriends about the fact that we've graduated from talking about boys and makeup to swapping recipes and discussing wedding dresses...well, sometimes we do still talk about boys. Scratch that, we talk about the men in our lives over wine but what group of women don't!?!

If Adam comes back to visit later this month I'd like to make a special meal for him. Ever since watching the last season of Hell’s Kitchen USA I've been eager to try my hand at a Beef Wellington. I've never eaten one before let alone made one and I've been scouring my cookbooks looking for a good recipe. I'm a big fan of Ina Garten also known as the Barefoot Contessa, though Adam thinks she's creepy! lol! And I'll be sure to do a trial run to make sure that it turns out right. I've clipped a recipe out of my mums magazine for a No-bake Lemon & Lime cheesecake which looks delicious. I'm a huge cheesecake fan, I've heard of this place called The Cheesecake Factory, it is on my list of places to go when I move to America. My husband loves Peach Cobbler and though I've made it a few times for him, I've never been able to beat his mothers recipe and I've only managed to make something just as good once. Not that I'm in competition with my MIL or anything! lol! I get along really well with her and am looking forward to living with her. I just want to be a good wife, good to him. Which Adam tells me I am.

We didn't get married in a Church, due to time and financial restraints, we had a registry office wedding and planned to renew our vowels in a Church at a later date. Well, whilst discussing this with Adam last night he says that he has no interest in doing this. Or rather he has no interest in arranging it with me. As far as he's concerned we're married and that's that. There is no point in arranging a wedding to renew our vows. And whilst I understand that the marriage is what counts, not the wedding, I have two issues. Firstly, I want to be married in a Church. It's important to me, just have our marriage blessed. And secondly, yes I am a girl who wants that special day. I want to wear a white dress and stress over wedding vows, cake flavours and wedding favours. I'd like to take lessons for a first dance that will set the tone for married life. And I know that stuff isn't important but somewhere inside I still want that day. Maybe I can just have a really lavish 30th birthday or something instead. Needless to say in typical stroppy wife fashion, I said "fine, let's not bother". And though he asked me repeatedly if I was upset and if I was sure, I didn't budge. What a silly moo I am. But I want it to mean something to us both and either way, it doesn't change the fact that he's my husband. The man I want to be married to for the rest of my life.

Oh, did I mention that my culinary experiments included my Spatchcocking a chicken? I feel like a regular Julia Childs!

I think I'm struggling as a twenty-somthing wife, living apart from her husband, soon to be thrust full time into the role of "temporary housewife". When I get there I shall have no life or job or mode of transportation. I shall essentially be a housewife without the perks of coffee with friends or a black American Express card. I dont at all mind staying at home, if we can afford to when we start to have a family, I'd like to stay home with our children. Right now though, I'm in the middle of figuring out what it means to be a wife and how to be a good one. Hopefully, one day I'll wake up and know how to make the bestest Peach Cobbler. I'll know how to get red wine out of a cream carpet (though I shall not have a cream carpet) and I shall throw the best dinner parties in the neighbourhood! Lol! Can you tell from my wedding dreams I've watched too many Disney movies and from my wifey duties that I was too much Desperate Housewives!? Can't help but Love Bree!

I do have plans for when I get up and going in America but for now, gotta go call my lover!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...