Wednesday 6 July 2011

Burden of Proof

At present I'm reading One Day by David Nicholls. I guess its been one of those books on my Amazon reading list that I'd been ignoring. I didn't know too much about it but when I saw the trailer for the movie their making, I figured I should get around to reading it. 

I hate watching the movie if I haven't read the book yet. Of course, the books are usually 10 times better. Every once in awhile you'll find a movie that is just as awesome as the book...Twlight, when I first saw it I watched it three times in a row...Or you'll find a movie that sucks just as hard as the book...Eat, Pray, Love was the biggest waste of my time and Julia Roberts in no way salvigaed an overindulgent, priviliged diary. Don't we all wish we could run off to Italy when we got bored and gorge on pasta!

I have high hopes for One Day and so far it has not disappointed! Check out the trailer:







I didn't mention (because I've been lazy and haven't blogged) that Adam cut his hand open the other week. A very nasty accident with one of his many knives, that resulted in a cut tendon. Of course, being the wife of a man who enjoys making up elaborate tales, I didn't believe him at first. Or for the first couple hours until he got really mad and his mum confirmed that he did indeed do himself a nasty injury. I swear that husband of mine likes the emergency room way too much. I had the wifely desire to be with him and make sure that he was okay and I also had the girlie desire to be as far away from that amount of blood as possible. I don't do well with open wounds and just hearing about it make my stomach churn a little. I never thought of myself as a squimish girl but I guess I just might be. Oh and due to the fact that he doesn't yet have medical insurance (at the time he hadn't been made permanent at work) he has chosen to fucntion with just one tendon operating his left hand index finger. I do enjoy teasing him about having a gimpy finger but doubt there will be any real damage.



I am so looking forward to this immigration journey being over. I miss my husband and the emotional support I get from him. Of course, he still supports me now and listens when I whine about how horrid it is here without him. But you can't get long distance hugs and sometimes a hug is all you need. I'm also looking forward to having some alone time with him...heck, having some alone time with just me too. It seems that it is virtually impossible for me to get some time alone. At least, not in my house. There always seems to be someone around to bug the crapolla outta me. Who wants to talk when I clearly don't. Thankfully, my husband is able to recognise that sometimes I just don't wanna be bothered. Sometimes, I just want to sit in silence and read or blog or just relax in general. 

I feel like I'm too old to still be living at home. I want to be in a position where I rely on Adam and he relies on me. End of the story. Here I feel like there are so many other people to take into consideration and there comes a point when you can't continue to put other people ahead of yourself. 


Of course, I can't end this blog post without mentioning the surprising verdict yesterday. I think I posted some time back that I thought that she should/would be found not guilty.

Not guilty in the eyes of the law but hung, drawn and quartered by the media and consequently the public, long before the trial began.



I think every one of my facebook friends expressed how disgusted they were with the outcome of the Casey Anthony trial. And to be perfectly honest, I felt relieved that she had been found not guilty, for so many reasons. Primarily because I do not believe that she is the only person to blame for the death of Caylee. I truly believe that her parents played a role. But also because the prosecution did not present conclusive evidence to show that Caylee was murdered, let alone murdered by Casey.

Their main goal seemed to be showing that Casey was a bad mother, yet there is no evidence to suggest that Caylee was abused. Partyings and getting tattoos does not a bad mother make. Yes, it looks odd for someone to be doing those things when their child is missing but not if you already know that your child is dead and you're attempting to keep up "normal" appearances.

I've found interviews of Caseys ex-fiance Jesse Grund to be most enlightening. He says that Casey wasn't a bad mother. That her parents facilitated her ability to party every night and not have to work and that her family are "a carnival of dysfunctionality".

Every so often a case comes into the spotlight and everyone has made their mind up before the case is even heard. As in the Amanda Knox case (did you guys over here think her guilty too?). 

Thankfully, the jury went on the evidence they heard and fortunately/unfortunately the evidence just wasn't enough. Perhaps it is because we live in the world of CSI. We expect Horatio Caine or Gil Grissom to take the stand and explain exactly what happened. After all "the evidence doesn't lie". This didn't happen here. When there is the possibility of the death sentence the prosecution really does have the burden of proof because you can't take back an executon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know all about how much the long distance thing sucks, did it for years too. But it will only make your appreciate the times you are together more. A few more months... Hopefully! Just enjoy your time in the UK, you will miss it once you're in the States.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...