Sunday 17 October 2010

Acceptance, Courage, Wisdom

It has been a rather long weekend for me, between work and school work I'm just about pooped. And silly me decided to have myself a relaxing glass of wine with dinner on Friday night, one turned into three and then I woke up with a nice headache which lasted the whole of Saturday. What happened to the days when I could drink and dance all night long? Did my youth abandon me?

Tonight Adam and I watched a show called "Catch It, Kill It, Eat It", they had some young Cows which they turned into Veal. I know there are a lot of people who don't eat Veal because there is a great deal of controversy regarding the living conditions of the Cows beforehand. Now, I have eaten Veal before, actually on more than one occassion. When I was in America, Adam and I went out for dinner with his parents and they recommended the Veal Parmigiana. I didn't know what Veal was, I remember Adam and I having a conversation where I earnestly said "Isn't Veal a baby Seal?", He hasn't let me live it down.
After watching the show tonight, I didn't actually watch all of it, after seeing two young cows being killed, I left the room. It was horrible, the realities of what animals go through would probably put most of us off eating meat, no matter how much we love it. They stun the cows first, the idea being so that they don't feel anything. I think maybe more so they don't run anywhere. Then hang them upside down from their leg, then slit their throat. The blood was horrid, it came gushing out. And they essentially bleed to death, because despite being stunned you can still see them moving some. It was horrible, just horrible. I cannot begin to express it. And it instantly made me want to go back to being a vegetarian. Though as Adam pointed out, it isn't really a luxury that we can afford right now. It makes no sense to me how or why it is cheaper to eat junk than it is to eat healthy. And yet almost every Western country is trying to understand their obesity problem.

Life is currently one financial stress after another at the moment, whilst a nice relaxing cruise around the Caribbean would be wonderful, I'd happily settle for my husband finding a good permanent job. Just setting that little prayer out there or up there, heck if it were my birthday I'd wish for it as I blew out my candles. We haven't been in a position yet to save for a rainy day, we're constantly living in the rainy days. Hand to mouth, pay cheque to pay cheque and it would just be nice to get back on our feet and be able to LIVE. We're constantly feeling like our life is passing us by, forgetting that life isn't the dreams we hope of achieving but the day to day struggle we're in right now. One thing that I think of every day without fail is starting a family, my broody button is broken and won't turn off. It's the wrong time and we could never afford it right now, but I get the feeling that I'm missing out on all the things we want because it's a money struggle.
It stresses me out, trying to think of where we're gonna get the money from to pay the next bill. I think about dropping out of school (but I LOVE my course) and going back to work full time, but then what about the future when I don't have the qualifications I need to get the career I desire. It's all such a mess, which is why reading Hannah's blog tonight gave me some encouragement. It reminded me of my favourite poem, Footprints and this verse in particular;

"
The LORD replied, my precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."




6 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

What made you stop being a vegetarian?

If it weren't for my husband I would be a vegetarian in a heart beat. But I find it harder when someone around me needs meat.

It would be hard for me to give up bacon, but not steak, (YUCK!).

I could for go chicken easily but not fish.

I totally understand about waiting for the right time to have kids. I'd love another right now but I just couldn't afford two in day care at once. But only a few more months now before the little one starts school so I'd better get a move on it!

I'll say a little prayer for Adam.

Don said...

I honestly tried to be a vegetarian at one point last year and it left me feeling weak and feeling underweight. Maybe I should have sought more facts concerning the subject, because it's a good & healthy decision, but it appeared that I suffered a meat withdrawal.

The best advice that I can give concerning matters of the heart and/or financial matters - Keep your head up and stay focused. Your wise decisions will be a result of such line of thought.

Hannah said...

I'm glad my blog could cheer you up! Keep on keepin' on! Just put the Lord first in everything and everything else will fall into place!

Oh, and here's the link for the specific post:

http://hmocruz.blogspot.com/2010/10/david-simplicity-part-2.html#more

Brown English Muffin said...

The kangaroos are new....so not sure what the story is with them.

Sherms said...

I was a committed vegetarian until I went on holiday with my family to St Vincent and discovered that vegetarians weren't really catered for. I ended up having to eat meat and fish or go hungry and I don't do hungry very well! I really wish that I'd gone back to it once I returned to England but I'm a sucker for a cheese burger!
Perhaps one day I can go back to it, there is a great deal of literature around these days advising on the most healthy ways to do it. You have to suppliment your meat with other nutrient rich foods, otherwise you will get sick.

CAmport said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I completely agree with you that we are fighting an idealogy. Which is exactly why I personally believe it is a war that can't be won. We need to declare victory in the sense that it's been 9 years w/o another major attack and get ALL the troops out.

In the beginning, I was on board w/the war. Now that my husband has been to AfG and seen what is actually going on...not so much. It seems we're there for one reason only, MONEY. Not so much to protect our own as to gain control. It's no secret the amount of oil there. Sheesh, I could go on and on and on. I'll stop my rambling about this topic here.

I don't eat veal, really not much beef at all, but I think watching a video like that would turn me into a vegetarian for sure! I get ya on the financial strains, too. We have three kiddos and only one income. It's tough! Know that you are not alone!

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...