Thursday 14 October 2010

I read in the paper that Apple have approved a patent for a system to prevent phone users, especially children, from sending sexually explicit texts; "sexting". Now is it just me or does this sound ridiculous? Though their idea might sound good to some parents out there who don't want their children sending or receiving these kinds of messages, really if your child is sending such messages, doesn't it fall on you to readdress your parenting technique? I think far too often people are forgetting that it is not up to teachers, doctors and now Apple to parent your child. It's up to you, their well being, who they grow up to be is dependant upon the lessons you teach them and the reality you show them. Furthermore, I personally wouldn't want my texts being monitored. Scanned for inappropriate words, that goes just a little too far beyond simple spell checking technology. Will it be monitored to whom I'm sending sexually explicit texts? (I haven't) Shall this technology judge me if I send messages to more than one guy? (Really, I don't send those kinds of messages) Will it let my husband know that I attempted to send a "sext" if we share the same account? (I've never sent those kinds of texts...Me thinks the lady doth protest too much!...No really, I haven't).

Today was a pretty relaxed day, due to the wonder of womanhood, I wasn't feeling at my best so spent the better half of the day laying on the couch eating chocolate and watching TV. I am a bit of a tv whore, I freak out if my shows don't get recorded, gotta get my weekly fix of Private Practice and Fringe. Of course my wonderful husband hates the shows I watch, he's more of an Animal Planet and Discovery Channel kinda guy whereas I'm more of a America's Next Top Model and Desperate Housewives kinda girl. I'm aware of the fact that two tvs are a necessity for us.

I've got a book to finish reading for class, it seems that we'll be reading a book a week for my Reading for Writers class. Which is all well and good, but when do I have time to fit in book for my own personal enjoyment. I've been wanting to read Catcher in the Rye forever, it really is one of those books that I am ashamed to admit I've yet to read. I've read all the Twilight books but I haven't read Catcher in the Rye, what kind of writer am I!?! I've also got Truman Capote, In Cold Blood, sitting in my Amazon basket waiting for me to purchase. First problem is money, though its not very much I usually try to be aware of my spending. I can be deadly on Amazon, it almost doesn't feel like real shopping, before you know it you've spent loads. Second problem, like I mentioned is time. I hate reading two books at the same time, I like to dedicate my attentions to one book. I might be a tv whore, but I am not a book whore. One book allows me to completely immerse myself in the text and get carried into that world, why I love books. Third reason is because Adam will most likely be the one who receives the package from Amazon and he already thinks that I have too many books. I've been talking for the past few weeks about getting another bookshelf, with school I've been adding to my collection and right now they're all over the place. He calls my book collection hoarding, but really, you can take my clothes or my ipod and cell phone, but you can't take my books. I shan't be throwing them away or selling them, there is nothing like being able to pick up an old book you haven't read in awhile and fall in love all over again. I don't get that same buzz out of wearing an old favourite dress, I can occasionally get it with an old song that I forgot I loved. But never in the same way as I get it with a book. The man just doesn't understand it, he thinks I'm a hoarder. But I just have property, he only has less than me because half of his stuff is sitting in trunks in his mothers garage back in the US. Over 25 years you start to accumulate stuff and isn't it funny how one day he can be complaining about me keeping something and then two days later he'll be asking if he can borrow it or if I know where it is. Men, what strange creatures.

1 comment:

Brown English Muffin said...

Funny I try to ONLY buy things on Amazon that has free shipping!!!

I won't buy anything online unless I can get it from Amazon and I HATE it when the shipping cost more than the item itself!!!

Poor Adam all his stuff in his mothers garage!! LOL What part of the U.S. is he from anyway?

As for Apple my new two loves in life are google and apple, I'm just waiting and praying for the two to merge but I know they never will!!!

So anyway the idea of the sexting technology sounds fascinating I can't wait to see how they actually get it to work...probably based on the same way that google delivers ads in gmail based on the contents of my emails that they read BEFORE they deliver them to me!!! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...