Wednesday 27 October 2010

My babies from another mother

It has been some time since I've updated. And really I'm going to be lazy and make this mostly a picture entry, just because I'm tired!

Today I went to my creative writing classes then came home to prepare for the arrival of my nephew and niece. Since they're on half term I thought I'd have them round to spend the afternoon watching movies and carving pumpkins. It's not really something that is commonly done in the UK but Uncle Adam is having an American influence on us. Halloween is his favourite holiday, over CHRISTMAS even! And though the kids were excited for the finished product, they didn't exactly enjoy scouping the insides out, refusing to get their hands dirty!




Of course, she's only three and she can't do very much with a plastic spork, but it makes her feel like she's doing it!



At five, he really takes it seriously. He and Adam have a lot in common in regards to movie tastes and the discovery channel, but when they clash...watch out!



The finished products!



They look even better with the light off!












I'm utterly exhausted and the only reason I'm up now is because Adam is still making his spanish vocab cards and so I can't sleep. I would like to do a proper entry tomorrow, but just in case, don't hold me to it. It would be nice to get myself back into the notion of serious pleasure writing, as opposed to assigned writing. It's a good thing I've got next week off school for "enrichment" (more on that tomorrow...maybe).

Spending time with these kids always reminds me that as much as I want kids, I'm SO NOT ready. We don't have the time or the money and I still want more alone time with my husband. But still, it's hard when they're so cute and say the silliest things. I'm certain that my niece is crazy and my nephew has an endless reel of silly jokes.

Have you heard the one about the French cats and the English cats?
There is a french man with three cats and an english man with three cats.
The french cats are called un, deux, trois and the english cats are called one, two, three.
They decide to let their cats have a swimming race.
Do you know who won?
The French cats you say,
NOPE!
Cause Un, Deux, Trois, CAT SANK! lol!
It's kid silly. Still, if I don't have to sing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes for a couple days, I won't be crying.

4 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

That's a pretty complex joke for a 5 year old and it's nearly as funny in spanish!! LOL (My daughter only knows her numbers in spanish...funny how things change from place to place. I only learnt French at her age and she'll probably only learn Spanish for a while!!

Is that your brother with the kids? I know it might be a silly question but I was just curious.

The pumpkins turned out fab, but alas no pics of Adam who started the tradition.

And leaving the best for last....HOW CUTE are you niece and nephew!!!! You need to hurry up and just have those kids of yours, you have some fantastic kid gene's in your family!!! LOL

Kait said...

Aww, they are so cute!

I love having little people in my life to do fun things like that with. My little bro is almost getting too old. He's not "too cool" for me yet but I see it happening soon...

Don said...

Kids are wonderful, especially when they are at a certain age where pretty much everything they say amuses. I love children and I believe they are the core of any remaining innocence in this world.

One day I am sure that you & your husband will place nothing but love into the hearts of your children.



Halloween over Christmas, eh? See what I mean? Lol. Kids just want to have fun. Can't blame 'em though. I remember the time.

Sherms said...

I think its such a shame that kids don't have more opportunities to learn languages in school. I used to be relatively fluent in German, but like most things in life: If you don't use it, you loose it! I do plan on learning Spanish next semester, I figured it would be more useful than German if Adam and I move to America.
That was my brother in the picture with his daughter, he is the eldest of us five kids.

We do talk about having children, but we've not been married very long and are still struggling to take care of ourselves. But hopefully in the not too distant future we can make it happen. We are wanting to have babies in the family again soon as my youngest niece is three and won't allow anyone to pick her up or give her hugs without her permission. I miss the new baby smell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...