Monday 12 September 2011

30 Days of Blogging Challenge

Day One: A recent picture of you and 15 interesting facts about yourself. 


I'm not quite sure what'll pass for interesting these days but I'm willing to give it a shot.


1. When I was a child I was obsessed with Eddie Murphy and would pretend that I was his wife and we had children. I slowly grew out of it but after the Mel B scandal, I can't bring myself to see him as anything other than an ass.
2. As if number one didn't tell you, I am a huge Spice Girls fan. I grew up on them but never quite grew out of them. I had the clothes, the bedspread, the music, the posters...up until about three months ago when I started downsizing to move, I even had their collectible postcards. 
3. I am sandwiched between two older brothers, a younger sister and younger brother. I do not like being the middle child. I feel like too much was placed on my shoulders and harbor buried resentment over this. I still struggle with this but the husband is teaching me how to put myself before my family...he hasn't taught me how to deal with any guilt this leaves me with. 
4.When I flew to Florida to meet the husband for the first time, I went alone. I told a handful of friends what I was doing but kept my family totally in the dark. My mum thought I was going with a friend to look at colleges. I got a lot of heat for it, especially from my other brothers but love makes you do crazy things. And thankfully, it all worked out perfectly.
5. I am afraid of birds. Need I say more? Pigeons especially. Come visit London and have a pigeon fly directly at you or poop on your head, then tell me that birds are harmless.
6. I love to bake but haven't done so in years. Whenever I buy baking utensils purely for my baking, someone in my house will mistreat them and it'll no longer be fit for purpose. My pet peeve is when the non-stick plating is scratched off. Hopefully, once Adam and I have our own home I can do a lot of baking.
7. Reading is what I love to do above everything else. If I have a good book, don't even try talking to me or getting me to go out with you. From the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep, I will be buried in that book. Of course, if it's not such a great book, I'm all yours.
8. Up until the age of 19, I spoke pretty good German. Unfortunately its one of those things where "if you don't use it, you loose it". I hope to pick it back up again soon, when I have time on my hands. I've been to Germany a few times and did a two week exchange whilst I was in college.
9. I get incredibly frustrated with people who have no ambition. I think that is the main problem with society today, esp young people. They want fame and glory and think that silly shows like Jersey Shore or Big Brother are the way to get it. They lack direction and integrity. I feel angry when I see young people who don't want to make anything of their lives and just sit at home expecting everyone else to take care of them. Now, I know its not easy to get started. I don't have the best job in the world, I'd probably be financially better off not working (which is insane, my government needs to sort that out!) but I guess I'm just not made like that. 
10. Last year I went back to school for Creative Writing (anyone who's read my blog for the past year knows how that turned out) and it was the best time of my education experience. I was wary that I was a little too old, older than the other students but I enjoyed not only being encouraged to write but having to read my work to others. That is intimidating but I learned a whole lot more about myself.
11. My husband and I technically met online but I actually met him through his brother. Before I was Shermeen0621 with Aol, I was Shermeen2106 with Aol. One day my instant messenger started to send out messages all over the world and one got sent to Adams brother. I changed my screen name but we continued emailing and instant messaging and became good friends. A couple weeks later I met Adam online and I guess as they say, the rest is history.
12. I didn't kiss a boy until I was 17 and it is something I regret even to this day. I suppose I could equate it to other girls regretting sleeping with a guy. I was at a party and I got stupid drunk and kissed him because all my other friends had kissed guys and I hadn't. If I could go back I would slap myself really hard across the face and say "No!".
13. I worry that when I move to the US, I'm gonna miss my nieces and nephew so much that I'm gonna wanna get pregnant right away. Adam and I talk almost every day about having children. He wants them in the next two years whilst I want to wait about four years...of course, I worry that my emotions and hormones might get the best of me.
14. I've had a botox injection before...in my anus. A very long story.
15. Before Sherms in the Middle, I had another blog called Public Thoughts. It's all closed up now but I keep it so I can look back on the memories. I've adjusted to blogger but I really miss the community of AOL journals.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

very interesting facts # 14 :/

I also love baking but haven't done it for a long long time either no oven or oven broken!
thanks for sharing!

LYN said...

u have to message me the Botox story!!!

ms.composure said...

i am afraid of birds too!!! (well pretty much anything that flies...) ther are so unpredicatble!

and dont worry i didnt kiss a guy until i was in my late teens as well...def not ashamed of it...

and you def may have to share that botox story!! LoL

Sherms said...

Later this week I'm gonna blog about the botox story! xx

Soph! said...

great pic! Your hair is lovely!

1. I had that obsession from when I was 10 until college, but with prince william!
4. ooooooh! bad girl!
8. ya. You definitely will lose it. I've been keeping up with dutch by listening to podcasts or occasionally breaking out my rosetta stone
14. can't wait to hear about it!

Brown English Muffin said...

OMG I learned so much!!!
1. Loved him in Imagine That...have you watched it with your niece and nephew, if you have or haven't watch it before you leave (again).
2. My first name is Mel my maiden name starts with a B, you can imagine the drama when I first came to this country! Ughh
3. Wow I'm an only child I can only imagine.
4. I cannot believe you went alone and that you met him through is brother fate!
5.hmmm
6. You need your own space. I'd be peeved if I bought something and it got ruined.
7. I never seem to find the time now, so enjoy before the kids come.
8. Wow I never would have guessed...I only did 2 years and all I remember is excuse me and train! LOL
9. I have goals...not sure I have ambition...let me go look up the true definition of the word and get back to you. But then again can you have goals with no ambition? I think not right?
10. Oh no people staring at me while I read...too much attention for me...but glad you pursued your dreams.
11. oops I covered this is #4
12. Wow good for you...boyus have cooties anyway! LOL
13. You will miss them, but you'll find a way to deal with it. Don't rush into kids...I say you shouldn't have a kid until you are willing to give up the right to be selfish! (yeah think about that one for a minute)
14. Please elaborate in another post, you can't leave us hanging like that! LOL
15. I was never a fan of anything AOL they seem to always make the most mundane things the most difficult....kind of like Microsoft! LOL

Tins said...

it's so cool you've started the 30-day blogging challenge, too! i'm gonna start catching up on reading these entries!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...