Wednesday 7 September 2011

Sherms in the middle of discovering my true beauty ♥

Beauty is not in the face;
beauty is a light in the heart.


I'm used to seeing myself as less than other people. I look around and other girls seem to have an effortless beauty, effortless intelligence, effortless kindness. It's not that I can't be any of those things, its just that it seems to require so much more effort for me than others. And ultimately, I end up feeling like I can't be bothered. That life shouldn't be so difficult, therefore I wasn't meant to be smart, beautiful or always kind. I recognize the possibility that the glimpses I catch of other women, when they're looking stunning, might just be their "glam day" and the other 364 days of the year they look like me: someone who shows like The Swan were created for. But my own insecurities seem to cloud any common sense and I end up looking enviously at all these well put together women. My negative view of myself only hinders me. I start seeing myself a certain way and over a period of days, weeks, months and years, I slowly become that negative image. I am capable of so much more than I give myself credit for but that negative picture of myself prevents me from having the confidence to try and possibly succeed.


I would like to be beautiful and glamorous and perhaps it is the curse of being a woman, that almost every woman out there can find something about her body/features that she would like to change. I do have a rather extensive list but I would like to get to a place in life where I have body confidence. It'll require not just working out and eating healthy but the ability to love the way I was made. To love myself.


I'm ready to change my life, change my perspective. "If you don't like something about yourself, change it" though I think it might be easier said than done, I'm ready to make the lifestyle changes necessary. I often think about who I am and where I am in my life. Decisions I should have made differently. I know mistakes are part of life, you get knocked down, get back up and try again. I'm not sure whether I've said this before or not but I appreciate the difficulties I've faced in life because I can learn from them. My blog name comes from the struggle, the journey I'm on to become the best me I can be. And I know it starts with loving myself and no longer putting myself at the bottom of the list.


In the coming years I hope that Adam and I can build a good life together, we really are quite simple at heart. And though I can name several ways in which we're different, we share the same core family values and do honestly want a simple traditional family life.


In the coming months I'm looking to improve on myself. I want to gain body confidence by loosing weight and learning to love my curves. I want to dedicate more time to my passions, writing short stories and baking. I want to continue on this journey of deepening my faith and I hope when I move I find a good Church. I want to find a career that I enjoy where I can help people, even if that means returning to school. And I want to enjoy my husband and watch my marriage grow and strengthen. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This post touched my heart...that is the way I feel most of the time. There is so many things that I don't like about myself or that I would change if I could. There is always the perfect girl with the beautiful face and body and then there is me! I hate pictures taken of me...only recently on FB and my blog I've had the courage to post a couple of pictures.

But luckily I found a man that makes me feel beautiful and boost my confidence and most of all loves me (inside and out) oh and my kids love me too even when my hair is a mess and I am still in my pjs.

It seems that you found your perfect man too Sherms! Hoping that you two can reunite soon! Hugs your way!

Alida Sharp said...

I can totally relate to this post, Sherms. Your heart and soul have such a beauty to them that I pray you can see what others see in you. I cannot say that I can do this for myself 100%. I have to admit that I don't always believe my husband when he compliments me.

I have been praying that you and your husband would be reunited soon...may you two be blessed with many many years together!

Mila said...

This is such an inspiring post.
I'm having the same difficulties with body image. Instead of working on changing it, I just complain. I woke up this morning determined to be better.

But just so you know, you are beautiful! I haven't even met you, but your good vibes definitely shine through the web.

Soph! said...

everyone feels like this at some point in their lives. I'm sure those girls with the effortless everything feel the same way too. I don't know you personally, but from your writing and your photos, I think you're beautiful.

"If you don't like something about yourself, change it"
That quote. That simple quote changed my life. haha, it made me quit my job and go back to school for something completely different. I am so much happier now and I hope you feel this happiness too!

Hannah said...

Girl, I'm right there with you! I am SO hard on myself. This exact thing is definitely something I've been struggling with lately, too. I have yet to write or blog about it because I have so many thoughts that I wouldn't even know where to start! I e-mailed my grandfather to tell him some of my thoughts...these were some of the things he said:

"You gentler folk seem to be in such a rush to perfection that you miss much of what life is all about...First, before you start to climb, be sure that your ladder is leaning against the right wall. Second, direction is more important than velocity. Why hurry if you are going down the wrong road. Something to ponder."

And then...

"You are amazing."

I've blogged about my Grandad before, but I'm sure if he was your Grandad...he'd probably tell you the same thing. You're not perfect, and all the good things you strive after aren't going to happen in one day...so relax. Do one day at a time, and be satisfied with your progress. And remember, you are amazing.

We can work on being both satisfied with who we are, while striving for more together...one day at a time!

Good luck, Shermeen!

Brown English Muffin said...

First I want to say that you are effortless with your kindness....and I'm surprised you can't see that...wait until you get over here and see all the mean people and you'll realize it! LOL

But with that said I know just what you mean...I look in the mirror and 364 days of the year I do NOW like what I see...I too have to glam myself up to even remotely like what i see...I figure it gives me something to work on in life...other wise just imagine how boring life would be!!! LMAO

ms.composure said...

i think every girl has these moments!! i know that i do and i am lucky to have friends who are there to help pick me up on my down days. you are a beauty inside and out! and dont let anyone or anything tell you otherwise! i think everyone is always striving to make life changes to make themselves feel better and it is a slow process but when you accomplish your task it is an amazing feeling! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...